1. Perth is the capital of Western Australia, which occupies nearly one-third of the Australian continent.
2. Perth is the sunniest capital city in the world, boasting on average eight hours of sunshine 365 days a year.
3. In 1962, John Glenn, the first American to orbit the Earth, orbited over Australia. The people of Perth left their lights on, and rushed outside to wave torches into the night sky to acknowledge his mission. John Glenn saw the Perth lights and ever since it has been known as The City of Light.
4. The Perth Mint is one of the oldest Mints in the world still operating from its original premises.
5. Kings Park is a 1,003-acre (4.06-square-kilometre) park located in Perth. It is one of the largest inner city parks in the world and visited by 6 million people every year.
6. The city is named for Perth, Scotland.
7. And the most interesting fact to me right now is … we are here on holiday. Whoo hoo. Stay tuned for a day by day account of our visit… if I can get my finger out to write the posts!